Monday, March 07, 2005

Disclaimer

Sometimes when I talk to Eric I catch myself thinking that I'm full of sh1t. Eric and I are friends, and we have somehow managed to strengthen our friendship through the distance. We talk a lot of nonsense, but a lot of our conversations are based on real life situations and by this I mean that we trust each other enough to ask the other one for advice.

Every once in a while, he comes to me for advice about girls and dating/relationships like I’m an everyday Carrie Bradshaw. Then I, in true Ana fashion, will start spitting out advice that couldn't have been better had I written it for
Cosmopolitan. And thinking back on every conversation I have ever had with him, I think I have shared with him wisdom that comes from a lifetime of reading Cosmopolitan in Ana words, as opposed to that personal experience he is after.

I'm not exactly qualified to give people relationship advice no matter how badly I might want to. I mean, having a history of more failed relationships than I care to mention, I'm hardly someone who could be considered a dating role model. I am simply someone who has learned to show her own scarlet letter in as bright and beautiful of a color as humanly possible.

Now, I am not saying that I want to quit sharing my experiences (or
Cosmopolitan wisdom) with Eric or with anyone else who might come along, but take this as a disclaimer. Just because I have had failed attempts at relationships doesn’t make me the authority on bad relationships, nor does my daily affirmation that I have already experienced (and lost) what I believe is the ultimate kind of love, make me Elizabeth Browning.

Sure, we can share anecdotes and give each other pointers…these are the things that make life fun! But don’t think for a second that even when I talk with authority on the subject I know what I’m talking about. At the end of the day I’m just looking for Prince Charming who is, ironically enough more often than not, embodied in Mr. Right Now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I've been there. you will find your prince..I did. My own Mr. Big!