Thursday, June 02, 2005

Celebrity Skin.

Yesterday, Carlos and I had a whole lot to look forward to: Last night David Sedaris, one of our favorite authors, was going to be at the Barnes and Noble in Union Square. Naturally, we just HAD to be there. At 5:00pm, I ran out of work like a bat out of hell and met Carlos, who had arrived way earlier to ensure that we had front row seats for the discussion.

That was so much fun!!!!

I've read some of his books, so I expected him to be funny (at least I hoped he would be); however, the guy was amazing. He read a story that absolutely cracked me up and then during the Q&A part of the event and his little book recommendation bit, he was absolutely hillarious.

I really like the man behind the words.

During the book signing, Carlos and I had the chance to talk to him for a few minutes and it was great. The man is a charmer. He even called me a hottie- which as a genuine unfished for compliment coming out of the mouth of a gay man, I thought was kinda cool. I just wish I had that same effect on straight men...hmmmmm...

Anyway, he signed my book and now I am all kinds of happy. Hell, I'd only be happier were he to morph into Antoine de St. Exupery and I know that I ain't gonna' happen!

He signed my book!!!!

Little sister Amy Sedaris was also in the audience sitting a few seats away from us. She is REALLY skinny!!!! She left during the book signing, but before she left, she handed David a plastic supermarket bag that, at least in mind, had one of those plastic containers with leftovers. I love it when celebrities act like regular people!

On another note, while doing a site inspection in Miami, I ran into Molly Shannon. That was pretty cool too.

12 comments:

F-ftOS said...

Lol.... the "unfished compliments" will start flowing now. Just wait. You do not know what you have landed yourself into. Enjoy while it lasts now.

Robert_M said...

I've seen him do reading here in Dallas three times, all were well worth it. hottie.


R

Jamie Dawn said...

Grrreat! Sounds like it was fab.
I'm glad he was even funnier than expected, and that you got the book signed.

Unknown said...

I remember the day I met Augusten Burroughs. Priceless.

Mona Buonanotte said...

SO jealous you got to meet Sedaris! Love love the guy! He narrated the book on tape version of 'Me Talk Pretty One Day", and he sings like Billie Holiday...freakishly well! And I think his sis, Amy, bakes and sells cupcakes in NYC. Hmmm..??

annush said...

Vince: Augusten Borroughs is also awesome. A few summers ago, I went out with his publicist. Thanks to him, I know who this guy is.

Mona: He wrote Me Talk Pretty One Day. I wouldn't be surprised if he sang like Billie Holiday because he has a very girlish voice. His sister Amy is an actress.

Matt said...

I've met a bunch of authors and for the most part they turn out to be intresting people... though often quirky

Matt C said...

What are his books like? I've never read.

K: Personality can be a turn on but for most guys, their personality is can be great, but they aren't exactly winning the girls over because we're not traditionally good looking.

Anonymous said...

Amy S is cool though never heard of David S. He actually called you a hottie??!

Voices of NLD said...

Uh, well, hello hottie
wow--the things I miss by forgetting to check my calender!

David Sedaris is incredible--note to Mrs. M--Amy used to be called David's little sister--until she became the permanent stand-in Letterman guest.

and I bet she was giving him cupcakes--bakes them for the Magnolia Bakery.

www.courtingdestiny.com

Cindy St. Onge said...

What can I say? I worship Sedaris. He signed my copy of "Dress Your Family In Courderoy" when he came to Portland last year. I adore, adore, adore him.

It's nice to come across another David Sedaris fan.

Gabemaster said...

This is what happens when I stay away from blogs for a while.. I miss all this stuff... Annush Ive seen a good number of your pics and and beleive me in us straight guys you are HOTT!! SizzzZling I'd say....Yummy!!