Friday, June 10, 2005

physcial weakness breeds inner strength

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

As I was walking home from work yesterday, it occurred to me that the Abercrombie & Fitch on Fifth Avenue might actually have opened. I walked down to 57th St. only to find that the space is still boxed in a really sexy A&F ad, so I turned around again and started to walk home. This time though, I thought that it might be cool to walk home through Central Park. So I did. When I was in about 67th St. my throat started itching like crazy. I kept on walking, but by the time I got home I had drank a liter of water and had the sore throat from hell.

…meanwhile, I felt fine so I went out to dinner with Kristhina. We went for pizza and ice cream to celebrate the return of 8 of my lost pounds. OH MY GOD! I don’t know what was in that ice cream, but if my throat was sore before, it was killing me then. So I went to sleep.

In the middle of the night I woke up just about ready to cough out my liver. I wanted to make myself some honey with lemon, but you know how it is, I had honey but no lemons so I ended up drinking some
echinacea with Naked Juice . I tried to get back to sleep but I couldn’t. It just sucked.

This morning, my cough was still there in extra strength so on my way to work, I went to the store and bought some
Ricola. It hasn’t worked at all. The damn cough is still there. I don’t want to have to buy actual medication, but if I’m not better by tomorrow, Robitussin here I come.

In any case, I’ve been thinking that maybe this cough business may have a reason for being aside that of torturing the living hell out of my existence. After giving it a lot of thought, I’ve decided to quit smoking AGAIN. Cold turkey. No patch, no nothing. World, wish me luck.

I also decided that I should get back into running. It’s occurred to me that I miss it a lot and I’m also very disappointed with myself because I don’t push myself as much as I used to. Eight months ago, I had a reason to not want to run but that's not the case now. Today, in an effort to make a change, I signed up for
Nike’s Run Hit Wonder and have every intention to begin running tomorrow morning.

I feel better already :)

This summer, I am going to reinvent myself. The thought of this is quite comforting.

Now if only this cough would go away!

6 comments:

Robert_M said...

Since I'm a former smoker you have my full support on the cold turkey attempt. That's how I did it.

My only advice would be 'think small' Don't think about the daunting task of never smoking again, break it up into small managable pieces. I can not smoke this A.M. and that turns into the whole day, and the whole day turns into a week. But fight each battle as if it's the only one. Thinking big picture can be much harder.

Even if you have a setback, see it as just that a minor setback, not the end of the struggle.

Sorry to ramble, I really want to try and be of some help.

I know it's tough.

Bracuta said...

(smoking a Marlboro Lights Menthol).. Good luck on the quitting part...

Gabemaster said...

Let me know when you are ready to celebrate for quitting cigarettes so we can celebrate smoking a few cigars :P

Weary Hag said...

Congratulations on the quitting thing. That's how I quit when I found out I was pregnant ~ cold turkey. Sadly, I went back to work as a bartender after a year and some months and it dragged me right back into the dungeon. One of these days...

(feels like I haven't been here in forever... sorry about the long lapse... I'll try harder to keep up)

Anna said...

I'm trying to quit at the moment as well. Have been clean for three weeks now but still search for the perfect way to combine the three things I don't like (running, eating healthily & not smoking) and make something come out that I do like. You seem to be more successful and definately more content with it. How??? I'm amazed and ready to worship you as my goddess of the better life and the renunciation of temptation.

Anonymous said...

Your site Blogger, I found to be very interesting. When I was searching for Marlboro Store yours was the most eyecatching. While working on my site Marlboro Store I have been seeking ways to make it better and found yours to be helpful. Thanks!