Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cold and cool.

Hell is frezing over. Literally.

Last night temperatures in the great land of Miami dipped to 30F (the freezing point in Fahrenheit is 32). I didn't think this was possible. I also became convinced that I have in fact seen everything, when I was checking out an apartment somewhere in Brickell and while standing out on the balcony, we spoted snow flurries mixed with the rain.

I have a number of theories as to why this is happening ranging from global warming to God losing his/her compass and confusing Miami with London. But regardless of why this is happening I think we should all take notice because this is flat out freakish.

In any case, I'm working on a new project. I finish my MBA in 32 days. Quite frankly, I didn't think this day would ever come; but since it is practically right there, I am already planning for my free time. It's not enough for me to spend 45+ hours at the office. I need more. So I got myself a personal trainer and am going back to the gym. I am also going to be doing something good for humanity outside of my regularly scheduled volunteer work: I am going to be helping out with the US Census.

The census is important. When people are not counted accurately, our elected officially can unintentionally screw us over. I want to do my part in ensuring that everyone is counted. I am also very curious to see what the new face of America is. I remember years back, after the last census, an article that came out in Time magazine that had a digital picture of a person representing the face of America at the time. I would like to see the updated version.

I woud like to see if the great recession of the past year has scared people away. I read somewhere that people were going back to their home countries because if things everywhere were bad, here they were worse.

It seems to me that this year is going to be pretty special. Ten days into the year, I find that many of the things we knew and accepted as truths have been disproved. Maybe the world will end, but if it doesn't, some interesting things are going to come out of this.

No comments: