Wednesday, March 16, 2011

...to date.

Today I read an article about the upcoming nuptials of Prince William and Kate Middleton and I don't even remember the particulars of the aspect of the wedding being dissected this time, but I do remember part of a quote:

"...reflect issues in which the couple have been particularly interested in their lives to date"

"In their lives to date"

"To date"

I've never really thought about life as "to date". For me, "life" encompasses even time that hasn't happened; which may be the reason why I'm so rigid. But I like 'to date". It allows for, and almost expects change. It assumes that we are a work in progress.

I am a work in progress.

This is what I feel "to date".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You confuse the transitive verb dating with the noun date. As a matter of grammar, this does not work. As a matter of the heart, it works perfectly.

annush said...

I am not confusing it. It is written exactly as intended.