Monday, January 17, 2005

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

New York, January 17, 2005

It's cold and it's snowing out. Definitely not the kind of combination that will get me out of the house!! So today this last day of the long weekend, I think that I'll just be lazy and hang out at home today. My mom should be getting here at around noon and I'm looking forward to that, and my evening plans can be easily moved around so that I don't have to leave the house. I'm thinking I'll bribe people with a hot chocolate party...hmmmm

Last night I didn't hang out with the
SGers like I thought I would. We had planned this perfect day, but it was timed all wrong!! So then we ended up over at Dan's for dinner eating quiche and obscene amounts of pie. I know...I should never go to Dan's when I am dieting. The problem is that his food is just THAT good. No worries though. I will start my diet again today.

Dan is currently hellbent on getting a dog. For the past two weeks I have been trying to talk him out of the idea because I feel that dogs need a lot of love and attention, which is something that he simply has no time to provide while working a full time job and maintaining a VERY active social life. Yesterday, during dinner, we were talking about his visit to the
North Shore Animal League and somehow, the conversation developed into a discussion about what he was planning to do to prevent the dog from doing his business all over his apartment while he is his at work...He said that wouldn't happen because he is going to set up his coat closet (which is fairly large, i must admit) so that it could serve as a playpen so the dog can stay there all day. According to him, he read in some dog training manuals that you are supposed to keep the dog caged all day.

Now I ask, who would write such a thing???

Here is Dan.


As part owner of 3 dogs (my brothers and I share ownership)I think it's cruel and unusual punishment to leave a dog caged at home for 12 hours a day. I do understand that in order to effectively train dogs you need to discipline them and at times cage them, but to keep a dog locked in a closet for hours and hours and hours, that's just wrong. I find it hard to believe that you could raise a happy dog under such conditions.

Anyway, he got A LOT of attitude from me and, surprisingly, from Margherita, who is all pro-getting the dog but against the dog caging idea.

"Whoever says Friendship is easy has obviously never had a true friend!"- Bronwyn Polson

One of my friendships was put on hiatus today. I feel all kinds of weird about it, but I know that this is for the best. I always say that when it comes to feelings you either feel it or you don't. There isn't really a gray area when it comes to affections. Now that we stepped into the awkward territory of not feeling it, a decision has been made and we can do nothing more except move forward from here.

I will admit that I am sad because I always try to keep good relationships, so dealing with parting ways with someone who was fairly important in my life is challenging because I don't want to forget this person, I don't want to place blame anywhere, nor do I want to mold my memory so I could make myself believe that there was something bad or wrong about them. Right now I want the strength and wisdom to follow through, the clarity to be able to think of them as they truly are, and the patience to wait for things to be in their rightful place. Everything happens for a reason...Maybe this is a good thing. The medicine without the spoonful of sugar.

I must go clean now.

ciao!


No comments: