Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Why the Y?

Day four of my gimpiness begins today. I don't know if I have mentioned it, but I managed to hurt myself on both legs (the quadricep on my right leg and the tibialis posterior o the left) by overtraining. I haven't been able to walk like a normal human being let alone go to the gym in days.

Needless to say I am bored out of my mind.

Last night I went to bed at 7:30pm in the hopes that I would feel better today (which I do). It was so incredibly hot that it took like 2 hours for my room to finally cool off. This humidity is making me crazy and combined with the boredom and all the studying (or lack thereof) that I've been doing, I feel like I am getting dumber by the minute.

Take this for instance: last night I spent 2 hours wondering why we need so many letters in our alphabet if we don't really use all of them that often. I called my friend the scholar and asked him and he said we needed variety. Then he said that we could possibly do without the letter "Y". It's even awkward looking...

So I thought to myself "Y". The letter itself is weird because only when you say "why?" does it sound like "Y"...all the other sounds are more like an "I" which means that it is quite possible that all the words spelled with a Y could be changed to an I.

I dwelled on this forever. Then it occurred to me that it is highly unlikely that the dictionary people were going to get rid of a letter just because it bugged me that it served no purpose whatsoever. So I tried to look at the positive side of having a "Y"...

Yes-You-Year-Yuck-Yam-Yuletide-Yolk-Yacht-Yodel-Yield-Yowl-Yen-Ying-Yang-Yips-Yoke-Yoga-Yahoo-Yo-yo...

and then there are of course the pretty names...Yvette and Yvette. (I don't know any more names with the letter Y and I know 2 Yvettes)

oh and Yuri! I forgot that one but that's pronounced like a J so it may not even count...hmmm

and countries...Yugoslavia, which no longer exists (probably cause they understood that the letter Y was outdated) and the Yemeni Republic (anyone knows where that is??)

So I suppose it's not such a horrible thing tht the letter Y exists...I mean, it will NEVER be as cool as say the A but it will never anywhere nearly as bad as X.

6 comments:

Chris Fleites said...

... Like my "guru" Tom Robbins once said: a "Y" is just an "I" with its arms up in the air ... he also said that a "Z" is an "S" with a stick up its butt ... but he was just joking with that last one as he loves the letter "Z" ever so dearly ...

... feel better deers ...

Bracuta said...

Does Eny count??

Grant said...

At least Y isn't as bad as C or Q, which are totally useless. Also, I have met some people named Yvonne, at least in the Sims.

gotbrains? said...

I was about to be offended until I read that one sentence in the post. So, I forgive you. Although, technically, our names are pronounced E-vette. So, the "Y" can be replaced. However, I don't want to be like every other 17 yr old Hialeah girl with Ivette or Evette. So, let's leave the letter Y alone!!! Meany.

annush said...

you know i love you...useless Y and all :)

*kiss*

Diego said...

Things we think when we got lots of studying to do...