Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Popcorn and soda...

I have come to the realization that the reason why chick flicks have such a bad reputation is because on the most part, well, they really suck.

I like movies. For the past couple of years though I have found it to be a real pain in the ass to sit through two+ hours of anything. People laugh at me when I say that in the past year I have been to the movies twice (HP4 and The Corpse Bride) but it's true. They laugh even more when they talk about movies that are already out on DVD (or are at the very least downloadable) and I just look up and down because I have no idea of what they are talking about.

This wasn't always the case. There was a time when I used to go to the movies at least twice a week and even then, I would watch 3 and 4 movies. Yes, I snuck into movies without paying for them. I am a badass. Sue me. Anyway, back then movie watching was fun. I would sit there with my popcorn, because I looooooooooooove popcorn (but that was before Supersize Me because with that movie I quit movie theatre popcorn), and I would totally get lost in the whole movie watching experience.

But I can't do that anymore. Maybe it is because these days the movies suck, or because the ever increasing prices of movie tickets are just getting ridiculous and I refuse to subsidize an industry that justifies that an actour earn millions of dollars for a few weeks of work. The fact of the matter is that I simply can't.

Yesterday though I wasn't feeling very well. I am still overtrained and I had a never ending cramp in my abs yesterday (everyday is a different body part I tell you) so I spent the morning reading and the afternoon in Ivan's bed watching movies with him. We watched Rumor Has It and Must Love Dogs.

Rumor Has It I kinda liked because it has an interesting, original premise. I both read and watched The Graduate way back in the day and I really liked it. As a result, the fact that this movie would even exist, amused the heck out of me. I kinda liked it despite the fact that I can't see Jennifer Aniston as anyone other than Rachel Greene and that I don't believe that as long as you are walking straight, beer drunkenness can get you in bed with anyone you don't want to go to bed to begin with. Believe me, though I don't drink beer anymore in my time I've drank A LOT of beer. Oh and that whole mathematical thing threw me off because if Jen's character was suppossed to be 33, that would have made grandma Katherine at least 75 and according to her in the movie she was like 63-64. Whatever.

Must Love Dogs simply sucked. I swear to God, unless she is Under The Tuscan Sun, I HATE Diane Lane. I don't know why she likes so much those roles of depressed, desperate divorcee because they are not that empowering and she makes me want to somehow jump inside of the movie and beat her in the head with a newspaper. Anyway, that movie is one of the things that are wrong with the world and one of the reasons why chick flicks get a bad rep. After I saw it, I felt like 2 hours of my life had been taken from me. I shall mourn their loss.

Anyway, I have to write a few emails so I can finish some very important paperwork I need to take care of so I can get the hell out of here next month so I am out. Have a nice day. And remember, if you can't watch a good movie, THEN READ A BOOK!

2 comments:

Grant said...

On the whole "watch a movie or read a book" thing, I have to say you should read Hearts in Atlantis, but avoid the movie unless you want to see a good example of how not to translate a story from paper to screen.

gotbrains? said...

I feel your pain, sister. I can't deal with more than 1.5 hours either. Most movies now-a-days suck. I saw a chick flick with my mom recently, I saw "The Devil Wears Prada." It was tolerable. Meryl makes it tolerable, she was fantastic.