Friday, August 24, 2007

Because I will one day get old...


So yesterday I became aware of my mortality. Goodie!

I have been in the work-force for years and years and years and I have never been worried about or even interested in what will happen to me when I get old. The Social Security debate is something that has held my attention for minutes at a time but I never really gave it much attention because that didn't apply to me...I wasn't going to get old. Old age happens to other people...

But in a mere week and 3 days I will be turning 28 years old and certain things are beginning to worry me all the while I've become exposed to some other things that maybe 3 or 4 years ago weren't worth my attention.

My new job is great. I love it. They think about all the things I don't and plan for me so I don't have to. This week we talked about retirement and my 401K. I probably wouldn't have talked about it EVER had someone not brought it up first.

Filling out the paperwork I was very nervous. Truth be told, I felt like I was signing a permission slip that would allow me to get old. BUt I knew that the time had come for me to start planning for EVERYTHING. This year I took out my very first life insurance policy and here I am now...first I worried about dying and then about the process of dying. EEK!

I signed up for a 401 K account and 6% of my salary is going to go to that (AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!) but it's a good opportunity because my employer matches my contributions so that is very cool. This is money that knowing me, I would never save on my own and even if I did, I probably would wrap it up in aluminum foil and stuff it in my freezer!

I started planning for the future and I feel a little bit old, but my friend V thinks that I'm maturing. It might be a little of both.

One less thing to worry about.

No comments: