Sunday, January 16, 2005

3 day weekend...NICE!

New York, January 16, 2005

I wasn't planning on writing anything today because I decided that on this long weekend my time would be better spent out of the house doing the fun fun things I like to do on my free time; however, on a quick stop to check my email I found that I had a whole bunch of responses to my previous posting- some nicer than others- and well, I thought that perhaps now would be as good a time as any to acknowledge that I have in fact read them and appreciate every last one. Although I must admit that I never knew that MY personal description/opinion of MY own existence was something people felt so deeply about!

My response to all the comments is: if you don't like what I write, don't read it. If you don't like who I am, don't talk to me. If you think I am ugly, don't look at me. If you think you have me figured out because you read a couple of journal entries then you are mistaken. It's just that simple. Anyone who has ever met me knows that the only people in the world who I am actually out to impress are the members of my immediate family and even then that has its exclusions.


THAT SAID...

Things always work out at the end. I wanted to get out of the city this weekend but for a number of reasons I was unable to do so. It's a good thing I didn't because so far this weekend I've had a blast...even with the cold. Margherita and I have inadvertently become everyone's favorite hostesses and have enjoyed every minute of it.

Once again though, I have to swing by Crate and Barrel to pick up new wine glasses because they keep breaking. I am beginning to think it's a curse. I also have to see what I am going to do about one of my living room tables because on Thursday night, in the midst of all the fun, we didn't realize that the table had somehow caught on fire... but like they say, it's all fun and games unless (or is it until?) someone looses an eye :-)


My fire...contained.

One of my best friends from college, Jenny, is back from Rome finally after 3 years and has decided to stay in Maryland until she moves to Germany again which should be around the summer. She is in New York now and we've been having a fabulous time just catching up. Jenny and I have a lot of history and it's always nice to sit down and reminisce. Tonight we have planned to go out dinner like we used to back when we were living in Germany ( I don't know how this will work out with me being on a diet and all). Hopefully Nezi will turn up... I have to say, it's been tons of fun hanging out with SGers as frequently as I have in the past few months...

People are always making a big deal about being unable to keep friendships with people who are in far away places; but in the age of information it's so easy to keep in touch!! What has worked for me in the past is finding comfort in knowing that nobody is further than a plane ride away. I also write back, I call, I keep a blog and these are pretty much all the tools you need to not feel so far away. I remain just as close with people I haven't seen in a while but keep in touch with, as I am with those I see all the time. At the end of the day, I think that you keep relationships by making an effort. That definitely compensates for the negative things.
It's really ironic though that I lost to distance someone who still means everything to me...

My mom is coming to stay with me for a few days effective tomorrow. I hope that she continues to be as cool, calm, and collected as she was the last time I saw her. I love the woman to pieces, but I really don't get why it is that parents can't let you grow up in peace! I guess I'll find out in due time... In any case, I doubt she'll be staying very long seeing how poor Gus is having issues over in London...She'll probably go harass him.

In any case, I am off for now. This little posting has extended far more than necessary and I am nowhere near ready all the while I am supposed to be somewhere in about an hour.

I hope you are all having a marvelous day...I know I am.

xox-
ana





No comments: