Friday, January 21, 2005

the world is a strange place...

I am so glad this week is finally over! Although it was only a 4 day work week, it felt eternal! This past week I’ve been swamped with work. Between the show, Miller buying Presidente, and that campaign thing my work days have extended far more than necessary and although it’s been fun, I can’t say I am happy about it. But my work has gotten way better so far this year and I’m thrilled about that. I really like what I do, it’s just a matter of doing it, you know?

I have also had some issues to work through this past week which have been rather unpleasant and unnerving. My grandma is sick. The doctors found a tumor on her breast, and although they have said that it’s not malignant they have stressed that she needs to remove it because it has potential to become cancerous. Grandma refuses to go in for surgery. What can one do? My mom was here, and she met with grandma and my aunt to try to talk her into it, but in my experience is kinda’ hard to talk someone into doing anything if you don’t really believe in what you are saying. My mom is of the belief that when faced with the possibility of terminal illness, one should always choose quality over quantity. From the looks of it, grandma agrees.

I hate this.

I also hate that someone who has probably been the most influential person in my life outside of my family although we have had our share of ups and downs is hurting. A few years ago she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. The last time I spoke to her, which was a few days ago, she told me that she was in some kind of steroid therapy that involved her keeping a needle in her arm for a number of days.

This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off. It makes me so angry to know that there are so many things out there over which we have no control. It’s also very upsetting to know, that these diseases which affect mostly women continue to be a permanent staple in our lives because no matter how much research is being done, it doesn’t seem to be enough. So what can we, regular people, do? I do my part by participating in fund raisers and stuff, but I wish there was something else for me to do if not to cure them, to make their lives better. To help them live a long life free of pain. It's gotta be frustrating to know that you are living with a terminal illness before you are even 25...

The world is a very unfair place it seems. Good people suffer, and when it seems like nothing will ever happen to us or to the people we love, it does and not only does it serve as a reality check, it makes you wonder what did they do that was so wrong that they had to be punished in such a way? I’ve thought to myself that I’m lucky that it’s not me who is going through that, but then I think that I wish it was me and not them. Life will sometimes put us in a strange place.

But what can we do, except keep on living and try to make our lives worthwhile. To find comfort in the people and things we have in our lives so that we can provide comfort to those who need it. And we can also hope. I hope that one day in my lifetime, neither my grandma nor my friend nor anyone else will be afflicted by such diseases.

No comments: