Thursday, February 24, 2005

Movies and more movies.

In an effort to save money and catch up on my movie watching (I'm REALLY behind) I have joined Blockbuster Online. As a former Netflix subscriber who was fairly satisfied with their service but that had to cancel her subscription because I don't rent enough movies to Justify $25 a month (this was like a month before they lowered their prices), I thought that I would give Blockbuster Online the benefit of the doubt more than anything because it's cheaper ($15 p/m). So I signed up, started my little movie list and two days ago I received my first movies.


The Motorcycle Diaries

I don't know if my undying love for Gael Garcia Bernal is to blame for how I feel about this movie, but I thought this movie was awesome. I don't know how close to the book it actually is, but for a movie based on a true story (Ernesto Guevara's trip through Latin America with his friend) it was surprisingly coherent and well done. The locations where the movie was shot were breathtaking. It kinda made me want to get me a Vespa and try it out but starting from here and then ending in Tierra del Fuego. But anyway, the acting was also quite good (though once again, maybe I'm biased). Gael made me believe he was really Ernesto Guevara and what's more, he made me believe that he was a REALLY good guy. The other guy was pretty good too, but I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to spend 8 months with him. EEK!

Anyway, after I saw that I watched Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow with Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie.


Sky Captain and
the World of Tomorrow

This movie wasn't anything particularly special. I watched it just because Jude Law and Angelina Jolie were in it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have. At first I was beyond annoyed because for the life of me I couldn't imagine why on God's name anyone would bring their daughters to see it (it is a PG film after all). The heroine (Gwyneth Paltrow) was this very diligent journalist (I'll give her that) but she was this prissy, girly, breakable thing named "Polly"that is better described as "that"- as Angelina's character does in the film. Angelina's, on the other hand, (Frankie Cook) kicked ass, in the way we have come to expect from her. Although she is in the movie for less than 10 minutes, she is the highlight of the movie, leaves a lasting impression and is a role model for our girls. Like Polly would describe Frankie in the movie "she's some kind of girl!".

No comments: