Sunday, August 05, 2007

red hair.


Gustav Klimt was an Austrian painter who lived at the end of the 19th century. His works are all imprinted with a certain eroticism and his particular perception of the female form. A good number of his works also portray his love of the redhead. As a matter of fact, some of his most famous works include "the redhead", which in my study of Klimt I have grown to see as "the one who got away".

For the obvious reasons, I have always liked Klimt. I like the colors he uses, the expressions on the faces of his subjects, and also the emotion he evokes. "Der Kuss" has always been one of my favorite paintings because of this expression of emotion.

I have also liked Klimt because I am a redhead lover myself. In a world where redheads are so rare and most people manage to go through life without ever encountering one, I have lived surrounded by them. Even when I don't look for them, they come and find me. The men I have loved the most, redheads. HWMNBN, redhead. The guys who are the main characters of the stories I will never tell my grandchildren, redheads.

Yesterday I received an email from a friend telling me that she found someone she feels would make an ideal companion for me. Her description of Prince Charming read like this: "...is a 32 year old single white male who has red hair. He is about 5'8 and is not only real sweet but also real..."

Every time my friends find someone who would be perfect for me, more often than not they are redheads. And I wonder why. Frankly, red hair is not a physical feature that I find particularly attractive and neither are the freckles that come with it. Perhaps I become attracted to the personality traits attached to someone with unusual physical characteristics (kinda like that guy I dated who had a brown eye and a blue eye). Hard to say. In any case it's kind of cool I think...

Even if this great person and his lovely red hair would probably just remind me...

No comments: