Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The video.



Years and years ago I made Yvette a video.

Years and years ago = 13 years ago. And it was then that sixteen year old me made a good bye video for her best friend who was moving away.

Thirteen years ago moving away felt permanent and I thought she would forget me so I made a video that encompassed all the silly things that we did and all the things that I felt towards her. Tonight, sitting around a kitchen table with her [Yvette] and Amanda [our other HS BFF] while we were reminiscing about the way things were, the aforementioned video came into play.

This video that had meant so much to me, I had forgotten.

We sat there and talked and in pieces it all came back to me and it was then that Yvette got up and came back holding a small video tape. Needless to say, we got all excited. After calling every Best Buy and Radio Shack in a 50 mile radius we found the adapter and we all got in the car and went to buy this gadget so that we could watch the video.

I am not going to lie, I was excited. I was somewhat fearful too because I didn't remember EVERYTHING that was in the video and we were pretty wild so it could have been a lot. But mostly, I wanted to revisit the dynamic of our relationships when we were 16.

So we made a few Bellinis, sat down in front of the TV and pressed play.

And Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals showed up.

Apparently 5 years ago, Yvette and her then boyfriend made a video for a contest being hosted by the Food Network. A few days later, boyfriend mailed the tape. Five years later we come to find that he mailed the wrong the tape.

They didn't win their Food Network contest but we also lost the "us" that was contained in that tape. And now we are sad. I am sad. Because if I didn't remember the tape before and now I am still not sure of what was in it, I feel like I lost all the emotion that I poured into making something special for someone I loved a lot who I thought I would loose for good.

I am sad. And I Yvette was sad too. And as we watched this video about kitchens and Rachel Ray, I just held Yvette's hand and thought to myself "for what is worth, we are together now".


Sixteen-Seventeen-Eighteen
Yvette-Amanda-Ana

2 comments:

ChrisP said...

If you have one of your own funny interview stories enter ICT’s
Funniest Interview – Video Contest

And win a Grand Prize of $1,000

Gabemaster said...

This reminds me, I have a crap load of videos from back in the day taken with one of those cameras, that I have to transfer to DVD. I hope i don't find some crappy 90's tv movie taped over them.